Skin lesion removal plastic surgery is offered at the best in class Upper East Side plastic surgery practice in NYC by our Ivy League trained board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Umbareen Mahmood. Skin lesions, lipomas, cysts and skin tags can cause both physical and emotional distress for many patients. Our top plastic surgeon offers the latest techniques and technologies at her Upper East Side plastic surgery practice to ensure minimal scarring and maximum results!
- We offer free consultations.
A skin lesion is an area of skin that has an abnormal appearance compared to the surrounding skin. These can include skin tags, moles, cysts, lipomas, keloids, actinic keratosis, seborrheic keratosis, skin cancer, among many other things. Some lesions can be benign, meaning non-cancerous, and bothersome more for their aesthetic appearance, or because they cause physical discomfort. Others can be malignant, or cancerous. Lesions should be evaluated when they are first noticed, and carefully monitored to assess for potential concerns. When possible, skin lesion removal is recommended.
Please note: Your insurance may cover the cost of lesion removal plastic surgery at our Upper East Side plastic surgery practice in NYC!
Treatment of skin lesions at our Upper East Side location with our top board certified plastic surgeon depends on the type of lesion, size, and physical location on the body. Dr. Umbareen Mahmood will carefully examine the areas of concern and determine which plastic surgery treatment plan is right for you.
Moles – This type of lesion is one of the most common and is usually harmless. At times, however, they can hide cancerous cells within them. They can also cause discomfort based on their location, and make patients self-conscious due to their appearance, particularly if on prominent areas such as the face or hands.
- Surgical excision: This allows for complete removal of the mole. The area is injected with local anesthesia, and the mole is excised entirely. The skin is then stitched closed, covered with surgical tape.
- Surgical shave: For some moles, surgically shaving the lesion is the preferred method of removal. The area is injected with local anesthesia, and the mole is shaved off, leaving a flat surface. Stitches are not necessary for this procedure. After the procedure, the area is covered with a surgical dressing until fully healed.
Cysts- There are various types of cysts. Treatment at our Upper East Side plastic surgery practice depends on the type, location, and size of the cyst. Cysts can be both unsightly as well as painful. Complete removal of the cyst, as well as its surrounding fluid-filled sac by our top board certified plastic surgeon, is the preferred method to prevent a recurrence.
- Cyst excision: The area is injected with local anesthesia. The cyst is excised completely, and its capsule, or shell, is also removed. The skin is then stitched and covered with surgical tape.
Lipomas- Lipomas are noticed as lumps under the skin that are clusters of fatty tissue. Lipomas are usually benign but can be aesthetically bothersome, and in some cases, they can be uncomfortable due to their location. They should to be evaluated carefully to determine if the cells are cancerous, in which case the lipoma should be removed quickly.
- Liposuction: Some lipomas can be treated with liposuction, particularly when they are soft and not well-defined. Only a very small incision is made to perform the procedure, and a compression garment is worn by the patient afterward.
- Lipoma excision: Most often, lipomas are firm and are a discrete mass, in which case the preferred treatment is surgical excision. Local anesthesia is injected, the lipoma is removed in its entirety, and the incision is closed with stitches and covered with surgical tape.
Skin tags- Skin tags are benign lesions that are small pieces of soft, hanging skin that may have a stalk. They can exist anywhere on the body but are frequently located in areas where skin rubs against other skin or clothing. These are generally painless and are bothersome to patients mainly due to their cosmetic appearance or location.
- Skin tag excision: Skin tags can be removed quickly and safely by cutting them off, and do not require suturing the skin afterward.
A skin lesion removal plastic surgery consultation is necessary to determine if skin lesion removal plastic surgery is right for you. During your skin lesion removal plastic surgery consultation with the board certified plastic surgeon at our Upper East Side location in NYC, Dr. Umbareen Mahmood will work with you to determine the appropriate procedure to help you achieve your goals. Contact us today to book your skin lesion removal plastic surgery consultation with Dr. Umbareen Mahmood at our Upper East Side location in Manhattan, NYC, and be one step closer to your plastic surgery goals.
Our plastic surgery practice is dedicated to protecting your health and helping you achieve your cosmetic plastic surgery goals by providing superior patient care every step of the way, from the first consultation through the recovery period. We believe in making plastic surgery a comfortable fit for your budget and offer a variety of flexible financing options, including CareCredit™. Our in-office patient coordinator is happy to work with you to find a compatible payment option.