Male breast reduction surgery, known as gynecomastia, is the most effective known treatment for gynecomastia, or the presence of enlarged male breasts.
- At our plastic surgery practice on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, men are increasingly requesting customized gynecomastia surgery to remove excess chest tissue, make them look fitter, more “masculine,” or to maintain a youthful fit appearance.
What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition that affects men of all ages, from teens to older men. It is the result of an accumulation of fat in the male breast and also of the enlargement of the breast gland.
This condition is generally due to normal changes in hormone levels. The development of gynecomastia can also be due to medication, general medical conditions, drugs or alcohol, or be weight related. However, losing weight will not correct the condition as exercise will not remove the excess breast tissue.
- Gynecomastia occurs in about 30% of middle-aged males and increases with age due to a decline in testosterone level.
Gynecomastia can also be due to a genetic condition, the most common of which is a condition known as “Klinefelter Syndrome,” which affects about one in every 550 males.
Who is a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery?
- Your gynecomastia is not responding to nonsurgical medical treatments including weight loss and exercise
- You want your chest to have a more proportional contour and a firmer look and feel
- You are unhappy with the size and /or appearance of your breasts
- You experience physical discomfort because of your gynecomastia
- You have good skin elasticity
- You are a nonsmoker and in good overall health
The treatment of gynecomastia may be achieved with liposuction or liposuction with skin and breast tissue excision. Removal of skin and tissue generally involves repositioning the nipple as well.
- Gynecomastia surgery may be performed under local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia, depending on the type of treatment needed.
Our plastic surgery practice is dedicated to protecting your health and helping you achieve your cosmetic plastic surgery goals by providing superior patient care every step of the way, from your first gynecomastia consultation through the recovery period. We believe in making plastic surgery a comfortable fit for your budget and offer a variety of flexible financing options, including CareCredit™ and Alphaeon™. Our in-office patient coordinator is happy to work with you to find a compatible payment option.
Upper East Side (Manhattan, NYC) Plastic Surgeon
37 W 57th St, Ste 2B
New York, NY 10019