Transgender Surgery (also known as gender affirming surgery, gender reassignment surgery, and sex reassignment surgery) including Breast Augmentation, Chest Masculinization, and Gender Non-Binary Top Surgery (Gender Nonconforming) is offered by Umbareen Mahmood, MD: an Upper East Side Manhattan NYC board certified double Ivy League trained reconstructive and plastic surgeon practicing in New York
- We support and endorse the Guidelines for the Standards of Care for transgender, trans-individuals set out by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
Gender affirmation surgery is a permanent surgical procedure, or series of procedures, that changes an adult transgender/gender non-binary person’s physical and sexual characteristics to those that society associates with their gender identity.
Chest Masculinization Surgery
Chest masculinization refers to a customized surgical procedure to remove the breasts in a biological female. This surgery removes unwanted breast tissue and creates a more masculine appearance.
- Top surgery is the most commonly performed gender affirmation surgery (formerly known as GRS, or gender reassignment surgery) for masculinization
- We offer minimal scar breast removal
There are various techniques the plastic surgeon uses to achieve chest masculinization:
- Double flap with free nipple graft
- Peri-Areolar (aka keyhole) incision
Chest Masculinization Procedure Details
The surgical procedure involves the removal of the current breast tissue. In most cases, the size of the areola (the darker skin immediately surrounding the nipple) is reduced to allow more natural proportions to that of a traditionaly “male” aesthetic. The specific type of surgery you would have depends on your breast size and shape, as well as whether the nipple needs to be repositioned.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
Gender affirming breast augmentation is most commonly achieved with the use of silicone or saline implants, but may also be achieved with fat transfer in certain patients.
Gender affirming medical treatments such as hormone replacement therapy can assist in the development of breast tissue. However, patients frequently desire surgical breast augmentation to achieve their desired breast size and to create fuller breasts.
- Breast augmentation surgery is considered the gold standard for chest feminization top surgery.
- With breast augmentation, you can choose the size, shape, and type (saline or silicone) of implants. This surgery is completely customized to fit your desired surgical outcome
- With our technology, you will be able to try on breast implant sizers so that you can see what that volume will look like on you.
Chest feminization typically requires reconstructive surgical techniques. These surgical techniques used by our Ivy League board certified plastic surgeon can include the use of breast implants, local flaps, or fat grafting. The most common surgical technique is with the insertion of silicone breast implants.
Silicone Breast Implants
- Provide a more natural appearance to the breast
- Feels like natural breast tissue
- Allows for a broader range of breast sizes
- Decreased risk of rippling as with saline breast implants
Nonbinary Top Surgery (Non-Gender Conforming)
Non-Binary, genderqueer, or non-gender conforming are a few terms used to describe a gender identity that is neither exclusively male or female. This patient may elect a procedure called non-binary top surgery.
The type of surgical procedure performed to create non-binary top surgery will be completely customized to your desired surgical outcome. This will depend on various factors including how much breast tissue and skin must be removed to achieve your unique goals.
- The ultimate goal of non-binary top surgery is to offer you a neutral gender appearance to match a non-conforming gender identity
- Areolas are usually resized to the diameter of 22mm (about the size of a nickel)
- Nipples can be completely removed
- Areolas can be completely removed
Ideal candidates for gender-affirming surgeries include:
- Good overall medical health
- Letter from a mental health provider (psychologist/therapist/psychiatrist)
- Letter from a primary care provider
In addition to the top surgeries that are performed, Dr. Mahmood also routinely assists transgender patients with achieving other body contouring goals, including procedures such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, and fat transfer, as well as a variety of nonsurgical facial treatments such as soft tissue fillers and neurotoxin (ie: Botox, Dysport, Jeuveau) injection.
Our plastic surgery practice is dedicated to protecting your health and helping you achieve your cosmetic plastic surgery goals by providing superior patient care every step of the way, from your first gender-confirming surgery consultation through the recovery period. We strive to remain knowledgeable with all elements to ensure that you have a comfortable experience and feel safe sharing your cosmetic goals. We believe in making plastic surgery economically accessible, and offer a variety of flexible financing options, including CareCredit™ and Alphaeon™. Our in-office patient coordinator is happy to work with you to find a compatible payment option.